Monday, March 30, 2020

New week!

Good morning everyone!

**NOTE: Please note these tasks are all OPTIONAL! I have given many options out to the students but I am not expecting that all of these assignments are getting completed. These are optional activities to keep students learning. There are lots of options but please by no means do I expect all of these activities to be completed on a weekly basis let alone a daily basis. **

Welcome to week #2 of distance learning!

Coming up this week ... 
* Google Meet - see instructions below 
* New Hapara activities 
* More of the Charlottes Web Read aloud 
* Genius Hour activity 
* Daily Padlet Questions 
* Mathletics and Math Prodigy 
*Kidblog 

Google Meet 
This will be a chance for the class to virtually get together. For everyone who is in my morning class, Mrs.Davis and I will be setting up a google meet tomorrow morning at 11am. Students will have to click the link I will be posting on hapara and follow the steps to get into the meeting. This will only be for the students in my morning class. There will be a second google meet set up my Mlle.Seaman for the afternoon class and this meeting will be at 1pm tomorrow. Mlle.Seaman will be the one distributing the link for that meeting so please wait for further instructions from her.

New Hapara Activities 
I will be posting some new activities on hapara this week. These activities are optional and if students are finishing them they are asked to make sure they submit them for me to look over. I can see who has started them and can see the students progress as they go. I have been commenting on a few of the activities for the students to see as they work on these projects.

Read Alouds 
I have been and will continue to post a few chapters of me reading Charlotte's Web every day. I have more books coming in this week which I will be starting as read alouds after we finish up Charlotte's web.

Genius Hour Activity 
What is genius hour? Watch this link for  a preview on what Genius hour entails. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rZ5Ga70bP8 The students and I discussed working on Genius hour projects this year and I thought they would be a fantastic way for students to do some at home learning about a topic of their choosing. I will be launching the genius hour project later today on our Hapara homework workspace. Ask your child about a topic they may be interested in completing a genius hour project about.

Daily Padlet Questions 
Starting last week, I have been asking the students a question through a padlet that I have created. Each day I clear the previous days posts and ask a new question. These questions are part of a 30 day gratitude challenge and are focused on having the students think about things they are grateful for in their lives. It is great to see the students commenting and interacting with each other every day on this padlet platform.

Mathletics and Math Prodigy  
I have opened up all Math learning topics through Mathletics and Math Prodigy for the students to work on. Both of these platforms offer an interactive online way for students to continue working on the Ontario Math Curriculum. If you have any questions about either of these websites please let me know. I have told the students they can email me to get their math prodigy login information if they have forgotten it.

Kidblog
The students still have access to their kidblog accounts. I have given this as another activity students can choose to do. There is a list of topic choices on our hapara workspace and students can go in and write a post to share with the other grade 5's. There is also the option to comment. You are welcome to put your email address in to allow you to receive updates on posts from your child. This option is in the top right hand corner when your child has logged in.

Have a great week! 
Mrs.Cooper 
danielle.cooper@ocsb.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment